Q Is my vehicle required to get a Smog Check?
A Your vehicle needs a Smog Check if it is more than six model years old and the model year is 1976 or newer. (This does not include diesel vehicles, motorcycles, electric and hybrid vehicles, and two-cylinder engine vehicles.)

Q How often does my vehicle have to be tested?
A Your vehicle must be tested every other year. A Smog Check is also required if you sell your vehicle and it is more than four model years old. Some vehicles may require a Smog Check at a Test-Only or Gold Shield station.

Q What is a Test-Only station?
A Test-Only stations are licensed Smog Check stations that are only allowed to test cars. State law prohibits them from making repairs. To find a Test-Only station near you, visit www.vipsmog.org or call (916)974-6940.

Q What is a Gold Shield station?
A Gold Shield stations are licensed Smog Check stations that meet certain performance criteria in order to test and repair all cars. They also provide repairs on vehicles that qualify for financial assistance under the Consumer Assistance Program (CAP). To find a Gold Shield station near you, visit www.smogcheck.ca.gov or call (800)952-5210.

Q How will I know if I need to take my car to a Test-Only or Gold Shield station?
A You will be notified on the registration renewal notice sent by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) if your vehicle must be inspected at a Test-Only or Gold Shield station.

Q How much does a Smog Check cost?

A Smog Check prices vary in different areas. Prices for Smog Checks are not regulated, so you areencouraged to shop around, www.smogcheck.ca.gov or call (800)952-5210.



Bureau of Automotive Repair


d c a